So in a fortnight I am going to run 10k at night through mud, water, obstacles and probably bad weather. I have trained (sort of) and the last thing for me to sort out is trainers and tops. Pay day was yesterday so I went shopping for my first pair of proper running trainers. I needed trail shoes with good grip, in fact I have been warned that spikes were needed. I also know thast my normal running routes have me doing splits n slips so grip was essential.
I located a running shop that people had been to, I spoke to my mad running friend so was prepared with my normal running trainers and socks. I was as prepared as a running newbie could be.
I got ready, I went in, found an assistant and explained my situation (new, don't have a clue, need grip, running x race soon). After a few minutes, reality struck.
I was being served by.......
BARBIE RUNNER!
Seriously, the BF was more useful. She pulled out a pair of trainers, I tried on. Felt comfy enough. At which point it was almost over until I questioned grip and mud. I showed her what i was running in and was told that they were road trainers and she could fit me for those as well. Well no shit Sherlock! I know I have been running in the wrong trainers but until I knew I was going to stick at it, no point paying out money.
Another pair was passed and seemed ok. Though have funny laces that I'm not sure I like. That was that n now I was feeling under pressure and fed up. So I gave up and paid. Except I have been stewing ever since.
All around me were people getting good advice n proper fittings. I could hear and see this. I know I should have asked for someone else but I expected her to know her job and if she didn't know to pass me to someone else. I could have just bought my shoes cheaper online. Now I don't have time to go in again and I feel quite disheartened, I can only try shoes inside, if no rubbing then go outside. I have no experience so not sure what I should have expected. I have bought climbing shoes (another specialized area) and sat for hour with someone who ran through everything, got me to try on many pairs, gave me advice and I would go back. Not only that, his colleague who I first asked admitted it wasn't his area and passed me over (I thoroughly recommend Tiso). I based my running expectation on that.
I'll see how they feel, based on reviews they are really good. If they don't suit me, I potentially could return on Thursday.
Moral of my rant- never ask the barbie girl for advice.
Other news; am now at BF while heating is installed. Cat is here and will stay for week, I am in and out. Still have some clearing to do but fingers crossed I finish tonight.
Ax
No comments:
Post a Comment