This week I have made 4 flowers and basted 6 hexies.
I need to cut up some more blue fabric but wanted to get a good lot of flowers done first then can spend a couple weeks joining up. I've also started thinking about quilting.....doodling on post its at work. That will be a whole new ball game and I'm going to make a spare flower surrounded by blue to practice on. It may not be traditional but I thinking about a small hexagon in the centre of each flower in blue (essentially following the shape), around the centre of the petals in red (again a hexagon shape) and then around the blue again a giant hexagon (blue or maybe red to be a shadow of the red petals?). I've seen lots of quilts with straight lines and curvy feathers but I want to hand quilt and I'm not too sure I can pull off straight lines without getting really bored. However, my practice flower will help when I am near this stage. I foresee a few attempts before I am happy.
I have also been thinking about where I sew. I see blogs and people have lovely sewing rooms, or they have bags/boxes which look suspiciously tidy to me.
I don't have that. Here is my main sewing area:
My sofa and the coffee table. Notice my harris tweed blanky in the left corner and the cat's cushion at the other end. Now to the hub of the area:
This contains all my essentials and some random items. Just a few are: EPP kit (you can see hexie papers, pin cushion and scissors), the cat's brush, stationary, bubblewrap (from a parcel), coffee (essential), dried spicy chickpeas (snacking on) and dvd remote, quilt book (notes on quilts, 1 page so far but will have more soon), the finished hexy/flower box (shape seems suited to hexies and I like the colour) and in the middle the scrap bag and my blue fabric.
Every Sunday, after I have taken my progress photos, I tidy this up and tidy my boxes but usually a few hours later I make them messy again. I'm just not a neat person! Despite this I like to be organised which my table is - everything is where I need it. The only thing missing was the cat who was sulking in the kitchen after walking over the quilt and getting removed.
Who else works like this? You can't all be neat freaks?
Axx
As always, linking up with Jessica at http://lifeunderquilts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/monday-morning-star-count-201428.html



I love your sewing area. Every sewing area should have a cat's brush - essential!
ReplyDeletenice sewing area...I do have a dedicated sewing room, but when I am doing my epp I am on the couch or a chair in the living area...all spread out just like you...my sewing studio however is kept neat as a pin between projects, but the fabric flies when I am in there creating or working on my crazy quilts or traditional quilts...so you are in good company...:) nice addition this week...I have been slack the last couple of weeks and I really need to buckle down and work on my epp projects soon...
ReplyDeleteI do my epp on the corner of the couch too. even with only the bare essentials needed on it it does tend to look cluttered!
ReplyDeleteHooray for The West Wing!
ReplyDelete